Esplora Interactive Science Centre Kalkara - The Best Mobile Map and Guide Tool if you visit Malta!

Go to content
Building - Esplora Interactive Science Centre
Watch Towers

In particular, a chain of various watch towers was built in the period 1601 to 1680. The purpose of the towers was to signal sightings of the enemy early and to transmit the observation with smoke signals.

There are also types of towers that were equipped with cannons for defence.

All towers are described in a special page. Click here for the tower page.

The watch towers
Along the coastline of Malta, you will find several towers. These are lookout towers realized by the Knights of St. John. The towers are positioned so that the two neighbouring towers could be seen from a tower.

As soon as an enemy situation was observed, a fire / smoke signal was given which was seen by the neighbouring tower which then did the same. In this way they were warned, and the necessary measures could be taken.

The port of Mgarr was, just like many other places, the target of Corsairs (pirates, hijackers, pirates).

They plundered water supplies and fetched food from the fields. The population was killed or taken as slaves. The population screamed for help and in 1418 filed a petition to raise awareness with the help of a tower.

In July 1551, the Ottomans (Turks), helped by Corsairs, tried to conquer Malta. They failed and they landed on Gozo. They besieged the Cittadella and took almost the entire population, around 6000, as slaves, including Governor deSessa and the Knights. The Turks saved 1 monk and 40 older Gozitan residents, yet 359 residents also escaped through the walls of the Cittadella.

At the beginning of 1600, the coastline of Malta was practically unprotected and there was no adequate warning system against unannounced raids from Corsairs.

The security consisted of a small detachment of local militias that guarded the coast every night. This detachment was armed with catapult (unlimited ammunition supply), crossbow and spears.
AppMelitie.jpg
The coastline was almost uninhabited until the early 1600s. Most residents chose to live safely in the vicinity of fortified cities. Outside of that there was a good chance of becoming a victim of Corsairs.

Living outside or near the fortified cities was best done at a high place, so that the arrival of the enemy could be seen, and a high place was easier to defend.

In the 15th century, the Knights of Saint John had a sound systematized warning system of towers in Rhodes and the Dodecanese and were well aware of the need for a sound warning system. However, the construction of fortifications around the Grand Harbour was a considerable financial investment and put off the introduction of the warning system.

It became clear to the Order of St. John that such a systematic warning system was essential when Ottoman navies revived activities and then, in 1598, a general alarm was given when 40 enemy ships surfaced from Capo Passero. Observations and events that followed also made it clear to the Order of St John that the systematic warning and communication system had to be realized.

Around 1598 the Italian military engineer Giovanni Rinaldini devised a plan for the defence of Gozo. Grandmaster Martin Garzes (1595 - 1601) was so generous to include in his will a donation to finance the construction of the first tower that was part of this defence plan.

The tower was built on the island of Gozo in 1605 overlooking the channel between Gozo and Comino. The tower was named Garzes Toren.
During the reign of Grandmaster Alof de Wignacourt, 6 towers were built; in1609 - Wignacourt Tower, in 1610 - San Lucia Tower, in 1614 - St Thomas Tower, in 1616 - Marsalforn Tower, in 1618 - St Marija Tower and in 1620 - Sta. Maria delle Grazie Tower.

In 1614 St. Thomas Bay was not yet guarded and therefore a great landing place for the Turkish invasion in 1614. With 60 ships and 5,000 men led by Khalil Pasha the Ottomans (Turks) landed on Malta. Only after a number of villages in the south had been destroyed by the Ottomans could the advance be stopped and pushed back.

In the period 1636 to 1657, Grandmaster Lascaris built ten towers, namely: Ta 'Lippija Tower, Għajn Tuffieħa Tower, Blat Mogħża Tower, Ta' Sciuta Tower, Nadur Tower, Qawra Tower, St. George's Tower, Xlendi Tower, Dwejra Tower and St. Agatha's Tower.

In the period 1658 and 1659, Grandmaster Martin de Redin built another fourteen towers, namely in construction order: Għajn Ħadid Tower, Għallis Tower, St. Mark's Tower, Madliena Tower, St.Julians Tower, Bengħisa Tower, Triq Il-Wisgħa Tower , Xrob l-Għaġin Tower, Delimara Tower, Żonqor Tower, Ħamrija Tower, Wardija Tower. Mġarr ix-Xini Tower and Aħrax Tower.

Appmaptoren.jpg

The Garzes Tower, Gozo

Grandmaster Martin Garzéz was aware of the need for a security tower on Gozo. That is why he decided to finance the tower himself. The tower was part of a defence plan drawn up by military engineer Giovanni Rinaldini. Four years after the death of the grandmaster in 1601, the construction of the tower was started, which was finished in 1607.

The tower had a number of cannons on the roof for which gun holes were placed equally spaced in each facade. In this way, attacks from every direction could be defended. A chapel was included in the tower, which was dedicated to Saint Catherine of Siena and later Saint Martin. The four militia members who manned the tower could use this chapel. Because the tower was open to the public, it became an unofficial parish church for the local population.

Plans were made in the 18th century to expand the tower with a bastion.

In 1848 it was decided to demolish the first built watchtower of the country, and the first tower it had taken up against the Turks. The brickwork was used to build the arch bridge between Mġarr and Nadur. Only an outdated drawing and a small manuscript plan provide some insight into the structure of this tower.

Type Wignacourt Towers
The Wignacourt Towers  were built by Order of the Knights of St. John in the period from 1610 to 1649., during the reign of Grandmaster Alof de Wignacourt.

This type of tower was not only a watchtower but also had a defence function. A total of 7 of these types were built.

The St. Agatha tower (1649) was built by the successor of Grandmaster de Wignacourt, Grandmaster Giovanni Paolo Lascaris, but in the Wignacourt style.

The only access door on the 1st floor could be reached via a stone staircase and a drawbridge. The militia members, who had no guard, slept on the top floor. There was a toilet, a water supply, a small fire and a ventilation shaft.

The ground floor was used for storage and was accessible via a hatch in the floor where there was a climbing rope.

The towers were equipped with cannons.
Wignacourt Tower

appwincourt.jpg
The Wignacourt tower was built in 1610 - 1611 by order of the Knights of St. John. This tower was first one built on the island of Malta and is now the oldest existing tower after the demolition (1848) of the Garzes tower on Gozo.

This Tower was built thanks to the privately donated financial contribution from Grandmaster Alof de Wignacourt. The Grandmaster was personally present at the laying of the first stone on 10 February 1610.

The aim of the Tower was timely signaling of impending danger and defense of St. Paul's Bay.

The plans for the building of the tower were presented to the Council of the Order of St. John with the help of a scale model. It is not clear who the architect of the tower is. It may be a design by Vittorio Cassar (deceased in June 1609), but his name is not mentioned in the military administration of the Order from 1603. Another possibility, it could also be a design by the lesser-known Maltese architect Capomastro.
Appdoor section.jpg

In 1715 an artillery battery was added with two 18-pound guns.

In the period 1891 and 1931 the tower served as a post office and police station and in the period 1937 to 1963 as a post office and telephone department.

The original entrance to the Tower was on the first floor. There was an access bridge between the stone steps on the outside and the entrance. Due to widening the road, the stairs were demolished in 1950 and an entrance on the ground floor was added.

In the period 1973 - 1976, the Tower was restored under the supervision of architect Ray Vassallo and in 2015 under the supervision of architect Kevin Fsadni.

The Tower has been a museum since 1998, with scale models of fortifications and objects from the 17th and 18th centuries.

San Lucia Tower / Fort Rohan
According to legend, the Bishop told Grandmaster Alof de Wignacourt that a woman had had a dream in which Saint John appeared and advised him to strengthen the coast at Marsaxlokk because the Turks would attack there. The woman was a slave called "Katrin is-Sewda" (sewda means black). She came from Tunisia, became a Christian and was known as a very devout woman. The Grandmaster did not find the information important. Then that summer an attack took place at Marsaxlokk. The Grandmaster immediately ordered the construction of this Tower.

As with the Wignacourt Tower in St Paul’s bay, it is disputed whether the architect is Vittorio Cassar. Grandmaster Alof de Wignacourt named the tower after the church "San Lucian" where he was baptized in France.

The Tower was built in the period 1610 and 1611 and is the bigger brother of the Wignacourt Tower. The Tower was armed with 6 guns, among other things. In the Tower there was also a small chapel with a painting that depicted the martyrdom of St. Lucia.

In July 1614, two hours before dawn, the Ottomans tried to land in Marsaxlokk bay. The Tower's artillery fire roared for the first time and prevented the Ottomans from landing here.

In 1715 the Tower was expanded with a semi-circular artillery battery and an arrow-shaped wooden house.

Around 1792 - 1795 the Tower was converted and expanded into a type of "Polygonal" Fortress with a ditch and shaft-like housing designed by engineer Antoine Étienne de Tousard. San Lucia Tower became Fort Rohan, named after the ruling Grandmaster Emmanuel de Rohan-Polduc. The original Tower can be found in the middle of the current fort.

Also, during the French invasion in 1798 strong resistance was offered from the fort, under the command of the Knight Laguérivière. The Order of St. John left the island.

During the French blockade of 1798 - 1800, the fort was part of an evacuation plan in case the French were to receive reinforcements. The ramp was also built in 1799 and a diamond-shaped redoubt (also known as Saint Lucian Redoubt) was built near the fort to provide cover for retreating troops. The whole plan was carried out under the direction of Maltese engineer Matteo Bonavia. Unfortunately, the ramp and redoubt have been demolished.

Around 1872 and 1878 the fort was rebuilt by the British into a polygonal fort, with three large casemates, a gatehouse, a ditch and the fort was given a Victorian style. The fort was equipped with RML 10-inch 18-ton guns. The fort was named Fort St. Lucian.

The fort was dismantled in 1885 and then used as a Royal Air Force bomb depot in the Second World War and afterwards until 1960.

After the independence of Malta in 1964, the fort was managed by the architectured department of the University of Malta. And later it became a Marine Biology Station. In 1988 it was used as a national aquaculture centre which later changed its name to an aquaculture research centre in Malta. The fort has been damaged to a limited extent.
St Thomas Tower

Apsttomas.jpg
In July 1614 a large Turkish fleet landed in St. Thomas Bay. Grandmaster Alof de Wignacourt immediately ordered the tower to be built on a piece of land that he had previously bought and where the enemy had landed.

This was the third tower of which the Grandmaster personally paid the costs. The
architect of the tower is unknown; it is assumed that the plan was designed by architect Vittorio Cassar.

The wooden drawbridge connects the only arched entrance door. The tower had a ditch around it and a bastion tower on four corners. Inside are two large halls with a height of 18 meters. There are also rooms for the guards on the roof. The walls are 5 meters thick. The tower was equipped with cannons.

The tower owes its name to a chapel dedicated to St. Thomas, which in the past stood near the tower.

The purpose of the tower was to prevent the enemy from landing at Marsascala Creek and St Thomas Bay.

In 1715 the artillery battery was added to the coast line.

The tower remained in use during the British period.

Marsalforn Tower
Grandmaster Alof de Wignacourt commissioned this tower, which was built in 1616. The architect was military engineer Giovanni Rinaldini. The tower guarded Marsalforn Bay and Ramla Bay and was built on the edge of a cliff that collapsed in 1716.

Grandmaster Ramon Perellos y Roccaful ordered the construction of a second Marsalforn tower in 1720. The military architect engineer Charles François de Mondion had made a design in the form of a redoubt with several guns. The tower was demolished in 1915.

Santa Marija Tower, Comino
Ships that sailed between Malta and Gozo were frequently attacked by the Barbarian Corsairs. These Barbarians also went ashore and plundered crops and water. A defence and communication tower were also required to defend against attacks.

Commissioned by Grandmaster Alof de Wignacourt, the tower was built in 1618. The Grandmaster financed the building from his own financial resources, including the sale of Comino scrub and farmers' profits. This tower became the most expensive of all Wignacourt towers. The architect of the tower is unknown.

The design of the tower is square with a corner tower crowned with an Armor on the corners. The tower is 12 meters high and stands on a base of 8 meters high. A 3-meter-wide musketeer gallery was built at ground level. The tower was surrounded by thick, high rubble walls made of unloaded bricks, suggesting that the tower had a ditch. The walls of the tower are 6 meters thick. In the tower there is a chapel dedicated to Saint Joseph. The tower is approximately 80 meters above sea level. The crew had a maximum of 60 soldiers.

Around 1791 the armament was two 3-pound bronze cannons, a 10-pound bronze cannon, two 12-pound iron cannons and a 4-pound bronze cannon.

In the 17th century, Knights convicted of minor crimes had to man the tower. That was a lonely and dangerous task.
During the French blockade 1798 - 1800, the tower served as a prison for suspected spies, French sympathizers, etc.

In 1829 the tower was abandoned by the British army and used by the local authorities.

The tower was active again during the First and Second World War.

Between 1982 and 2002, the tower served as a lookout for the Maltese forces against, among others, smugglers.

The tower was restored in the period 2002 - 2004.

The tower is open from April to the end of October on Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, from 10:30 AM to 3:00 PM. If the flag is not hoisted, then the tower is probably not open

Bookings can be made for visits from schools and other groups, as well as for private events.
Contact 9905 1866 or carolync@maltanet.net

Santa Maria Delle Grazie Tower
This tower was the last of the Wignacourt towers series and was built in 1620.

The tower has disappeared completely because it was in the field of fire of the Della Grazie Battery built in 1988.
Lascaris Towers
In contrast to the already built Wignacourt towers, Grandmaster Giovanni Paolo Lascaris realized nine smaller coast guard towers and the larger St. Agatha's Tower.

The towers were designed by the military architect Vincenzo Maculani, the towers were built between 1637 and 1640.

The 4 towers below look like this:
Apptowerinside.jpg
Ta 'Lippija Tower
This tower was built in 1637 to protect Ġnejna Bay. The tower has one floor (two rooms) and has a flat roof. Grandmaster Lascaris paid the construction costs privately.

The tower was restored around 2003.This tower is also known as the Ġnejna Tower - Torri tal-Ġnejna),
Għajn Tuffieħa Tower
This tower was built in 1637 to protect Għajn Tuffieħa Bay.

The tower was equipped with a half-pounder cannon and the occupation was for 4 soldiers.

This tower is also known as Għajn Mixkuka Tower - Torri t'Għajn Mixkuka.

The tower was restored around 2000.
Blat Mogħża Tower
The tower is built on a rock wall. From a note written by engineer Charles François de Mondion of the Order of St. John from 1730, we know that the tower collapsed with part of the rock.

This watch tower belonged in all probability to a small watch tower type and was built around 1637.

The tower was also known as Torri ta 'Blat Mogħża and Ta' Capra Tower.
Ta ’Sciuta Tower
The tower is also known as (Ta 'Xuta) Wied a-Żurrieq Tower - Torri ta' Wied a-Żurrieq.

This tower was built in 1640. The original cannon is still on the roof here.

The tower served as a coast guard post of the Royal Malta Fencible Regiment and later of the Royal Malta Fencible artillery until after the Second World War and then until 2002 as a police station.

Restored in the period 2013 to 2017.

The types below are more a small square model:
Nadurtower.jpg

Nadur Tower
This tower is relatively far from the coast and its main purpose was to pass on the signals from Għajn Tuffieħa Tower and Lippija Tower to Mdina.

It is a small square type Lascaris Tower with one floor (two spaces). Entrance on the first floor and access to the roof was via a wooden ladder.
Qawra Tower
The tower is also known as the Ta 'Fra Ben Tower and Qawra Point Tower and Torri ta' Ras il-Qawra.

This tower was built in 1637 in a square design with one floor (two spaces). The access to the roof was via a wooden ladder. The aim was to monitor St. Paul’s and Salina Bay.

An artillery battery was added in 1715.

The tower is now part of a restaurant.
St. George’s Tower
This tower was built in 1638 as a one-storey. The entrance to the tower was demolished to build a road. The tower has two spaces. The access to the roof was via a wooden ladder.

After Fort Pembroke was built, the tower took on the role of fire command post and was expanded.

During the Second World War the Tower was used as a radio communication post.

In 1997, the fire command post added to the station was demolished and the tower was restored.

he tower is now integrated into the grounds of the Corinthia Hotel in St George's Bay.
Xlendi Tower
This tower was built in 1650 and is the oldest tower on Gozo. The only access to the tower was on the first floor, which was accessible via an external staircase with drawbridge.

The ground floor of the tower is rectangular, after which the tower on the first floor becomes a square tower of approximately 10.5 meters.

There were two 6 pounder guns on the roof, which were later replaced by 4 pounder guns.

Already in 1681, the tower was in a bad state.

During the British period, the Tower was used by the Royal Malta Fencible Regiment (1815-1861), which later became the Royal Malta Fencible Artillery (1861 - 1881).

During the Second World War, the coastal police used the tower as an observation post.
Dwejra Tower, Gozo
This tower is also known as Qawra Tower, Torri tal-Qawra.

The tower was built in 1652 and had a view of the Dwejra Bay. the tower had three 6-pounder guns.

Salt was processed to pay for the costs of using the tower. The salt pans for the tower were used for this.

In 1744 the fungus that grew on the wall turned out to be medicinal.

During the British period, the tower was used by the Royal Malta Fencible Artillery (1839-1873).

During the First World War the tower was used by King's Own Malta Regiment and the Royal Malta

Artillery with two 12 pounder rifles that was expanded to 4 pieces.

The tower was restored in the period 1997 - 1999.

The tower is open to the public.
St. Agatha's Tower

Appredtouwer.jpg
This is a larger type of tower and is also known as "The Red Tower".

During the reign of Grandmaster Giovanni Paolo Lascaris, this tower was completed after an 18-month construction period in 1649 on the basis of a design by architect Antonio Garsin. The tower is similar to the Wignacourt Towers. Given the colour of the tower, the tower also bears the name The Red Tower.

It is the sixth Lascaris Tower and the last large bastion tower built on Malta.

The tower is square with a corner tower with cannon gates in the towers on every corner. The walls are four meters thick. In a niche of the tower there is also a chapel dedicated to St. Agatha.

The Tower had a view of Mellieħa Bay, Comino and Gozo and was manned by a garrison of 30 men.
There was a supply of food, water and ammunition to withstand a 40-day siege.

The tower was equipped with a battery in the 18th century.

During the British period, the tower retained its military function and was active during the First and Second World War.

After the British period, the tower became the radar station for the Maltese forces.

A two-year renovation began in 1999.

From the tower there is a beautiful view of the Għadira nature reserve.

The tower is currently being renovated.

Winter opening times - 16 September - 14 June Monday to Sunday 10 am - 4 pm
Summer opening times - 15 June - 15 September from Monday to Sunday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Temporarily closed due to renovation.
Redin Towers
In 1658 and 1659, the successor to Lascaris, Martin de Redin, built another 13 watchtowers along the coastline of Malta, which became known as the towers of De Redin. The design of the new towers was based on the Sciuta Tower.
The structure of the towers is generally the same. It is a tower with an intermediate floor on the first floor. There is an additional space on the roof. The only access was on the 1st floor and accessible with an extendable ladder. The tower was equipped with an iron cannon. The occupation consisted of a bomber and three gunmen.

The walls are made of sand-lime bricks, the composition of which is hard and weather-resistant and the inner layer of a softer composition.
The towers were provided with a commemorative plate or the coat of arms of Grandmaster De Redin.
Often the location was chosen where a medieval guard post had been.
These towers were built by Grandmaster Martin de Redin. The Grandmaster paid for the construction of a number of such towers around the Maltese coast and these towers were named after him.
Għajn Ħadid Tower, Selmun, Mellieħa
The tower was built in 1658 on a high piece of land with views over the coast which is known as L-Ahrax tal-Mellieħa and Mġiebaħ Bay. It was the first of the Redin towers.

The tower was badly damaged during the earthquake of 1856. The 6-pound cannon and the memorial plaque were transferred to the park at tas-Salib in Mellieħa.

Since the tower was difficult to reach and therefore difficult to supply, the tower was self-sufficient. For example, there was a water source, delimited plots of land for vegetables, grain and animals.
Gallis Tower, Salina, Naxxar
This Tower was built in 1658 and 1659. This Tower guarded the Salina Bay. The Tower was equipped with  3-pounder cannons. The occupation consisted of a bomber and three gunmen.

During the British period, a door was made on the ground floor.
Toninu Aquilina was found in the tower at the age of 35 in 1955. After investigation it turned out to be  murder.

The tower was restored in 1995 and 1996.  In 2015 solar panels were installed on the roof for the LED lighting of the Tower. The Tower has no electrical connection.
Qalet Marku Tower and Qrejten Point
This tower is also known as St. Mark's Tower and is located at Qrejten Point. The tower was built in 1658.

In 1741 a fougasse was built near the towers. A fougasse is a large hole in the ground where black powder is stored. The fougasse has been found to be untraceable for a while but was recovered in 2014.

The tower was operational until around 1743. During the British period, he association of war experts ordered the installation of a 3-pounder cannon.
The tower was restored in 1997.

Qrejten Point is also a remarkable point geologically. There are many lines in the sand-lime brick hill. How did these lines come about? Are these from lightning or Lichtenberg figures? There are also very straight lines.

If these lines are made by nature, what influences have the lines created? If the lines were made by humans, the question is by whom, why and when and especially how did humans help nature to make these lines?
Madliena Tower, Madliena, Swieqi
The tower is located high up near Ras l-Irqiqa and was built in 1658.

In 1741 a fourgasse was built in the rocks near the tower.
A redoubt was built near the tower in the 18th century. There is not much to see at the moment.

When the 12-kilometer-long Victoria Lines were built in 1875 to 1899, the Madliena Tower was in a strategic location because it closed the gap between Fort Pembroke and Fort Madalena.

In the British period, an artillery battery was built with two QF 12-pounder pistols, a cooking house and two storage rooms, and completed in 1909.

There is nothing left of these additions to the original tower.

In the 1865 period, the tower was equipped with facilities for a  64 Rifled muzzle loading (RML) cannon.

Since the gun cannot be found on the armament list, it is possible that the gun was never installed.

During this period, the tower was in use by the Royal Malta Artillery.

In 1935 the tower was provided with defensive lights and in the Second World War a cannon was added.

The tower was restored after 2009. The original tower and the plateau of the cannon from the Second World War are still intact. The door on the first floor is bricked up.
St.Julians Tower, Sliema
The St Julian’s Tower was built in 1658 to protect St. Julian's Bay.

An artillery battery was added in 1715. Part of the parapet had gun holes and another part had a parapet and a barbette.

A wall and redan with gun holes connected the tower and the artillery battery. A part was also provided with a ditch.

After the tower was occupied by the French, the tower was captured during the Maltese uprising against the French under the leadership of Vincenzo Borg.

Later the tower's cannons, like many cannons that were on the island, were transferred to other locations to bomb Valletta in order to eliminate the French occupation.

The tower is still intact and is used as a restaurant. Many later additions have been absorbed in the promenades.
Bengħisa Tower
The Bengħisa Tower, also known as Torre di Benissa, was built in 1659.

In 1761 a ramp was added to the tower with 10 guns.
In 1915 the British demolished the tower because it was in the line of fire of  Fort Bengħisa.

The land is now used for storage tanks that are part of Malta Freeport.

Triq Il-Wiesgħ Tower
The Triq Il-Wiesgħ Tower was built in 1659. "Triq Il-Wiesgħa" means "Broad Street" because the coastline of this tower was very wide.

Fort Leonardo was built around 1870 at a distance of 350 meters from the tower. The tower was not in the firing line of the fort and did not have to be demolished.

At the beginning of 1900 the rear part collapsed, which was restored in 1930.

The tower was adapted in the Second World War and parts were removed. Bunkers were also built in the immediate vicinity.

When a plane crashed next to the tower, the tower was damaged.

The tower then fell further into disrepair and part of it collapsed.

The tower was restored to its original state in 2008 and 2009.
Xrob l-Għaġin Tower, Xrob l-Għaġin, Marsaxlokk
The Xrob l-Għaġin tower was built in 1659. The tower is built with globigerina limestone, which is susceptible to erosion, causing the tower to collapse.

The contours of the tower can still be seen.
Delimara Tower
The Delimara Tower in Delimara, Marsaxlokk was built in 1659.

In 1793 a mortar battery was built near the tower.

In 1888, both the battery and the tower were demolished by the British because they were located in the firing line of the built Fort Delimara.
Żonqor Tower
The Żonqor Tower, also known as The Redin Tower in Marsaskala, was built in 1659.

Although this tower had two guns and was manned by four soldiers, its purpose was only to follow the enemy's approach and could not stand a long siege.

In 1915 the tower had to make way for modern buildings. Now there is a Second World War bunker on the site of the tower.
Rijamrija Tower
This tower was built in 1659 and was lightly armed with a ½ pounder cannon and a 3-pounder cannon.

The tower has been restored.

Neolithic temple sites, Mnajdra and Ħaġar Qim are located a few hundred meters from the tower.

The tower is now also part of the Archaeological Park.
Wardija Tower
The Wardija Tower was built in 1659. The original name of the tower is "Torre della Guardia di Giorno".

The tower is slightly smaller than the other Redin Towers. The tower was armed with two guns and 2 mortars.
Mġarr ix-Xini Tower, Gozo

AppMġarrixXini.jpg
This tower guarded Mġarr ix-Xini Bay and was built in 1661.

The order for the construction was given to the Grandmaster the Redin, before his death. The tower has many characteristics of De Redin towers and was designed by Mederico Blondel.

The tower is square and has one floor. The only access on the first floor is accessible via a stone staircase and a wooden drawbridge.

The crew consisted of a Castellan and a bomber.

In 1792 the tower was rearmed with two 6 pounder guns.

The tower was restored in 2000 and repairs were carried out in 2008-2009

The tower is open on Saturdays.
Aħrax Tower
This tower, also known as the L-Aħrax, White Tower and Torre di Lacras, was built in 1658 with a view of Armier Bay.

There was a water source close to the tower.

Above the door was an inscription with the text:
FR.D.MARTINVS DE REDIN MAGNO SRH MAGISTRO
SEXTAM SPEULAM. PRO GARINARVM. AC INCOLARVM TUTIORI
STATIONE, ERIGENTI, MELITEN S. POPVLVS PRINCIPI SVO CLEMENT
PRO. VT IN CORDE. SIC IN L ... RIDE SHIPS
DEBITAS REDDEBAT AN. 1658

There was also a coat of arms of Grandmaster De Redin.
In 1715 an artillery battery was added, being a semi-circular cannon platform with a barbette parapet. The whole was named Batteria Della Harach.The tower was then expanded with a log cabin and walls that connect the tower and the artillery battery.
An inventory in 1743 shows that the tower was equipped with two bronze cannons and in 1770 with ten iron cannons.

During the British period, in the 19th century, the tower, which originally consisted of two rooms above each other, was equipped with various rooms and served as a naval station, and then it became the summer residence of the Governor.

Because the tower went into private ownership there have been various modifications to the tower and artillery battery over the years, with much of the original being lost.
Cottoner
Isopu Tower, Gozo

Appisopu.jpg
The tower is also known as San-Blas Tower, Torre Nuova and it-Torri ta ’Isopu.

The tower was built in 1667 during the reign of Grandmaster Nicholas Cottoner. The design is a square tower with a small tower on the roof.

The only access was from the first floor. The entrance door could be reached via an external staircase and drawbridge.

You reach the roof via a spiral staircase.

The tower had four coats of arms.

In 1792 the association of war experts issued an order to arm the tower with four six-pillar cannons.

After a 3-year restoration, the tower has been restored to its original state since 2006.

Open 3 Sundays a month.
Perellos
Marsalforn Tower
The first tower named Marsalforn Tower, also known as the Xagħra Tower, was one of the Wignacourt towers that had collapsed or was later dismantled in around 1715 or 1716.

There was a need for a replacement tower at that location. Grandmaster Ramon Perellos y Roccaful commissioned the construction of the tower and the tower is also known as Perellos Tower. The tower was designed by military engineer Charles François de Mondion.

The design was a square tower with a sloping façade with musketeer holes. A ditch was present around it.

The design was more a "tour-reduit" than a tower such as the Fresnoy Redoubt, Vendôme tower, Spinola Redoubt and was located around Marsaxlokk Bay. The parapet was equipped with musketeer holes and 3 cannons per façade could be installed on the roof.
Around it was a ditch with a drawbridge to gain access to the tower.
AppPerrelos.jpg
The tower was finished in 1722. Only one photo of this tower is known, taken by Michele Farrugia around 1910. Part of the star had already collapsed.

In 1915 the British army demolished the tower and built a communication station that was demolished again four years later.
Others
Mamo Tower
In 1657, the Mamo family built the Mamo Tower also known as San Tommaso Tower / Torri Ta 'Mamo.

Gregorio Mamo and his son Giorgio were professional builders and also in charge of various works for the Order of St. John. The family has also built the St. Gaetan chapel around 50 meters next to the tower.

The tower has a large round room in the middle. From the circular room there is access to three rooms. A staircase leads to the roof.

The tower with residence protected at least 80 surrounding farmers against attacks from Barbara corsairs (hijacker or pirate), who landed in St. Tomas bay.

The tower was integrated into the security and signalling system of the Order of St. John.
In the Second World War, the British improved the tower and built a Pillbox (bunker) on the roof and became a regional headquarters.

Over the centuries the tower passed into various hands, including Lord Strickland, Eventually the tower was no longer suitable for habitation in 1987.

In 1994 - 1995 the tower was restored, and the Pillbox removed.

The tower has been open to the public since 2003. It is now open on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Tal-Buttar Tower
Tal-Buttar is a private tower. The tower was accessible via a staircase on the outside and a drawbridge to the entrance on the first floor. The tower had two rooms and a guard room on the roof.

The tower also has a water mill in Maltese "sienja tal-miexi". The mechanism of the water mill is a historical example of how the Maltese water mills functioned.

The tower was armed with two guns and was manned by four soldiers.

This tower is not indicated on the map.
Opening hours
Tuesday - Friday
9:00 - 15:00
Saturday - Sunday - public Holidays
10:00 - 17:00

Last admission
Advice 60 minutes before closing
Closed
Ticket / admission fee

Adults (16+ yrs)
€ 6.00 + € 2.00
Youth (3- 15 yrs)
€ 4.00 + € 1.00
Children (0-2 yrs)
Free
Disability Card Holders
€ 3.00 + € 1.00
Seniors Card Holders
€ 4.00 + Free
Prize 1: Entrance + Science Show OR Workshop - Complement Prize: Planetarium
Address and street / location can be found on our map, click on Guide in the menu bar and you will get a map with markers.
Book: Buy tickets for place of interest. sights, hop on hop off buses, exhibitions, safari, etc or book and tour.
Latest news and original website of the attraction / spot / advent
This Esplora Interactive Centre page is part of “The Malta Magazine”.

This magazine is for every resident and visitor to the country of Malta. But is also educational and for anyone interested in Malta.  The Malta Magazine highlights the past and present of specific subjects and/or places of interest with the help of extensive information and photos.

As a tool during your journey of discovery through Malta, you can use our information services free of charge. You can do this in two ways, via our website https://maltaguide.pro or our app depending on your operating system, Google Play or Apple Store. Both give you the same information.

“The Malta magazine” is the best, ultimate and most comprehensive magazine you can get of Malta.

The magazine is growing fast and will soon contain more than 350 interesting topics.

Find and discover interesting sights and discover the many historical secrets of the country Malta. Find all things to do and places of interest in your exploration.

“The Malta magazine” is also convenient whether you are walking, driving a car, or using the hop-on and hop-off bus trip, boat trip, etc.

“The Malta magazine” provides you with general information about the sights, Malta’s beauty, secrets, history and culture, its architecture, fortifications, etcetera and specific information as: what took place here?; When was it built and by whom?; What are the functions of all these.

“The Malta magazine” describes also religious subjects, museums, parks, places of interest, public toilets and much more useful information. Interesting texts set up by local experts and additional informative photos make this app distinctive.

“The Malta magazine” answers many questions and shows in an easy way to navigate way where the sights are located. A great landmap and citymap made specifically for you, is a great tool. You can immediately see where you are and where the sights are.

In this "Malta Magazine" you will find the location, address, opening hours and admission / entrance fee, general additional information and news about the spot.

Everything in “The Malta magazine” is easy to operate, without any knowledge and suitable for young and old.

“The Malta magazine” is free while you normally would pay for a guided tour, you may enjoy navigating through Malta on your own terms.

“The Malta magazine”  is constantly maintained about: attractions which are closed due to renovation, changed entrance fees or opening times, etc. This maintenance costs a lot of money. However, it has been decided not to include annoying advertisements. The “The Malta magazine” has no hidden costs.

The skillfielly texts are written by local experts and additional informative photos make  “The Malta magazine” information provision distinctive.
Back to content