The view of the The Bastions
The bastions of Mdina are literally the highlights of a visit to this old city. From high above on the fortification walls one has a commanding view over the larger parts of the landscape of Malta.
App info: In our app you will find the location, address, opening hours and admission / entrance fee of this spot. If you use the app, you will find additional information and news about this spot on this page.
It really is a panoramic view. Except on a cloudy day in winter one may also be able to see the cliffs of Pozzallo in Sicily and when one is really lucky also the white top of Mount Etna. In summer one may also see the harbour lights of Pozzallo which are only 60 miles (97 km) away.
Bastions and gates are:
- St. Peter bastion, also known as Greek Bastion, built in the 1550s during the tenure of Magistrate Juan de Homedes y Coscon;
- De Redin Bastion, built in the 1650s during the tenure of Magistrate Martin de Redin;
- De Homedis Bastion, also known as St. Paul Bastion or Belgruardo del Palacio, was built between 1540 and 1551 during the tenure of Magistrate Juan de Homedes y Coscon.
- Despuig Bastion, was built in the 1740s during the tenure of Magistrate Despuig;
- St. Mary’s Bastion or Ta’ Bachar Bastion, which was built in the 16th century;
- The Gharreqin Gate was built by the British in the 19th century, opened in 1890s and is located within the defensive wall (curtain wall);
- Mdina Gate / main gate, the gate was originally built in the Middle Ages, the present Vilhena Gate was finished in 1724;
- Greek Gate, the gate was originally built in the Middle Ages and the present gate was finished in 1724.
Read also the Fortification of Mdina.
The free app
Down load our app. This is the best, ultimate and most comprehensive app you can get of Malta.
The Bastions - Find tourist and Holidays information about Mdina in our Map app and discover interesting sights. Find all things to do and places of interest in your tour.
We provide so much information that two apps has been created, Valletta - Mdina and island Malta - Gozo. You will see in this series more than 350 places of interest and discover the many historical secrets of the country Malta. In the Valletta - Mdina app is also included it neighboring Floriana en Rabat and is also useful if you are taking a cruise through the Grand Harbor of Valletta and the Marsamxett Harbor. This Valletta app is also great when you enter the grand harbor via a cruise ship!
This series is also convenient whether you are walking, driving a car, or using the hop-on and hop-off bus trip, boat trip, etc.
his app provides you with general information about the sights, Malta’s beauty, secrets, history and culture, its architecture, fortifications, etcetera and specific information as: what took place here?; When was it built and by whom?; What are the functions of all these buildings?
The app describes also religious subjects, museums, parks, places of interest, public toilets and much more useful information. Interesting texts set up by local experts and additional informative photos make this app distinctive.
This app answers many questions and shows in an easy to navigate way where the sights are located. A great landmap and citymap made specifically for you, is a great tool. You can immediately see where you are and where the sights are.
Everything in the app is easy to operate, without any knowledge and suitable for young and old.
This app is free while you normally would pay for a guided tour, you may enjoy navigating through Malta on your own terms.
This app is constantly maintained about: attractions which are closed due to renovation, changed entrance fees or opening times, etc. This maintenance costs a lot of money. However, it has been decided not to include annoying advertisements. The app has no hidden costs.
If you are visiting Mdina and you want to walk there and see the most interesting sights, our free app is a perfect tool. You will immediately find out what there is to do in Mdina. At a glance you see the most interesting places, so that you can determine your own walk. With the app you have a clear map and you know where you are during your own Waking tour.
Attractions in Malta